Paleo Date and Carrot Cake
My daughter-in-law lives in Dubai. She keeps me well stocked in Mejdool dates.
And I had just made my own cake mix. This cake mix is not made with nut meal or with coconut. I was getting bored of those flours but I am unwilling to go off my paleo diet.
So naturally I had to bake carrot and date bread.
I am happy to report that the cake mix is an unqualified success.
Baking for a person on Paleo is all about experimentation and substitution. It is crazy. I’ve often wept at the stuff I cook, but the world belongs to the person who is determined or so I hope. Here is the recipe.
The cake was awesome and light.
- 100 gms ghee or butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dates pitted
- 1 spoon cinnamon
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup paleo flour
- 1 tablespoon sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- 2 spoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Line loaf pans with butter paper
- In a wok, heat up the ghee, sugar, dates, carrot with a cup of ice cold water, stir constantly to soften the dates and melt the sugar (4 minutes)
- Remove from heat and let it cool for 30 minutes
- Add soda, nuts, eggs and flour.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour into loaf pans and let it bake on middle rung for 55 minutes
- Cool it completely before slicing.
- You can dust it with icing sugar.
- As a rule I don't use much of white sugar so I did not use icing sugar.